Vinales finishes P1 at Phillip Island
GP | February 17, 2017 5:15 PM HKT
Maverick Vinales claimed back-to-back P1s at the
penultimate pre-season outing at Phillip Island, edging
reigning champ Marc Marquez on Friday.
Vinales hit the front on Thursday and it was more of the same
from the new Yamaha rider on the third and final day.
A 1:28.549 in the opening hour of testing set him up for a
great finish as his time stood unbeaten.
Marquez came the closest to challenging for the P1 slot but
finished 0.294s off the pace. Like Vinales, he also set his
fastest lap time early in the morning.
After a disappointing day on Thursday, Dani Pedrosa showed his
class as he set the third fastest time ahead of Yamaha Tech 3
rider Jonas Folger.
The German was the last rider to get within half a second of
Vinales’ best time as his team-mate, Cal Crutchlow, was P5 and
0.552s off the pace.
Alex Rins had a solid outing for Suzuki, sixth quickest ahead
of Andrea Dovizioso and Jorge Lorenzo.
Jack Miller and Aleix Espargaro completed the top ten.
22 of this year’s 23 MotoGP riders were in action with only
Tito Rabat sidelined. He was withdrawn from the test after
suffering several fractures and a severe laceration on his knee
when he crashed at Sepang.
The final pre-season test will take place in Qatar from March
— MotoGP™ (@MotoGP) February
1. Maverick Viñales Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1)
2. Marc Marquez Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m28.843s 0.294s
3. Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m29.033s 0.484s
4. Jonas Folger Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m29.042s
5. Cal Crutchlow LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m29.101s 0.552s
6. Alex Rins Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m29.103s 0.554s
7. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m29.248s
8. Jorge Lorenzo Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m29.342s
9. Jack Miller Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m29.358s
10. Aleix Espargaro Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m29.361s
11. Valentino Rossi Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m29.470s
12. Andrea Iannone Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m29.547s
13. Danilo Petrucci Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP17)
14. Johann Zarco Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m29.670s
15. Hector Barbera Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP16) 1m29.791s
16. Pol Espargaro Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 1m29.857s
17. Loris Baz Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP15) 1m29.977s
18. Bradley Smith Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 1m29.978s
19. Alvaro Bautista Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP16)
20. Scott Redding Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP16)
21. Sam Lowes Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m30.200s
22. Karel Abraham Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP15)